How to clean your fermenting crock - ohlardy.com

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

I may receive a commission if yous buy something mentioned on this folio. Encounter more details here.

Lately I take been having a lot of fermenting fails in my fermenting crock.  At kickoff, I figured that it was a bad batch of culture starter.  I confirmed this after fermenting some carrots in a mason jar that also failed.  So, I tossed the box of starter and started with a fresh box.  Problem solved!

Nope.  Not solved.  I started fermenting some pickles with my new packet of starter and those failed as well.  It is and so lamentable to lift that lid and look in and find black mold and sad, icky pickles.  People e'er inquire me, "How will I know if my ferment is bad?"  I always respond with, "You lot volition know."  The odor, the mold, the look of everything makes you want to throw the whole crock abroad with everything in it!

After discovering my batch of pickles failed, I realized that my crock must be contaminated.  The crock itself is glazed pottery.  Easy to clean – just soap and h2o and let it to dry thoroughly.  Withal, the stones are not glazed.  They are porous.  Soap and h2o won't cut information technology if mold spores are living in those stones.  I needed to practice some heavy duty cleaning of those stones, for certain.  I decided to make clean the lid also because the inside of my hat is non glazed, it is porous equally well.

How to clean your fermenting crock

The outset thing I did was ready a gallon of water to boil.  I added ane/ii loving cup of white vinegar to the water.  I boiled the lid and the stones for at least 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, I heated my oven to 400 degrees.  In one case the stones and chapeau had finished boiling, I placed them into the preheated oven, straight on the oven racks.  I closed the oven door and turned the oven off.  I immune the stones and chapeau to cool off with the oven.

I do non shop my stones inside the crock.  Instead, I capsize the chapeau and place it on tiptop of the crock.  So I set the stones inside the chapeau.  This allows air to circulate over the stones and hat.

I don't make clean my crock in this fashion after every ferment.  I usually just wash with soap and water.  All the same, it would exist practiced practice to do the deep down make clean every and then often.  It is so sad to lose an unabridged batch of pickles or carrots or sauerkraut.

If you are finding that y'all aren't having much success with crock, you lot might desire to clean your fermenting crock.  It might be just what information technology needs.

Pin it!

How to clean your fermenting crock - ohlardy.com

Oh Lardy! is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an chapter advertising program designed to provide a ways for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.